Monday, August 27, 2012

Luke goes to the Doctor

Whew.  My third post of the day.  I'm really trying to catch up since things have been so crazy!
We had our second appointment with the pediatrician today.  Luke got to meet Dr. Madden.  He had been out due to surgery on his arm.  So we had met with one of the other doctor's in the practice the week prior.  Luke gained weight.  He is 6 lbs. 2 oz.  However, he didn't gain as much as the doctor would have liked.  (An ounce a day.)  He's not overly concerned, but we are going to go back in for a weight check in a few weeks.  We also found out that Luke has a hernia down in his boy private area.  Dr. Madden said it is common with preemie boys.  He also said that it's common for it to go away on it's own, but is also known to not go away on it's own as well.  So he's going to keep an eye on it.  If it hasn't fixed itself by our next appointment he will send us to a urologist.  I'm not sure what that would entail...  But we aren't overly concerned at this point.  We also asked about the redness that is on Luke's right eyelid and the "Harry Potter" mark he has on his forehead.  He said they are birth marks.  He called them "Angel Kisses".  He said they should fade by the time he goes to kindergarten.  Jarod and I were both worried that he would look like he was always in a fight later in life.  So that was good news.



After the appointment we stopped by Fenton Park for some swing time for Mel.  She is much more unsure of the swing than she was back in January when we had all that beautiful weather.  She still likes it though.  It just took some time to get used to it.  She still does her "Wee-ing," which is adorable.
Luke's 1st trip to the park at 12 days old.


It looked like it was going to rain at any second.  We were the only people on the playground.  It was great!



She had a bit of a difficult afternoon after we got back from the park.  I think the changes going on in our home are getting to her.  She spent the afternoon hitting and biting.  NO wasn't making much of a difference.  I finally got to my wits end and put her in bed to calm down.  And I can't express how much it breaks my heart to discipline her.  It's really hard.  And doesn't help that my hormones are running rampant right now.  I felt like the worst mother in the world.  After she calmed down a bit, Jarod went up and brought her down.  I was in the middle of nursing Luke.  However, when I was finished I made sure to get down on the ground and get some Mommy-Melanie time in.  She brought me book after book and we sat and read.  I think she and I both really needed that time together.  I know it's going to take time for everyone to adjust.  Here's hoping tomorrow afternoon will be a little better.  We have Melanie's NICU follow up at Cardinal Glennon.



No comments:

Post a Comment