Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sometimes being a parent is...

Terrifying!  Certainly the beginning of our adventure of being parent's was beyond terrifying.  Having a sick baby in the NICU was scary for sure.  Ironically, I think we always felt like Melanie was in the best hands possible.  She was in an environment where she was being taken care of by professionals who knew what they were doing.  She was hooked to monitor 24/7.  If something went terribly wrong, doctors and nurses would be aware of it immediately. 
However, what is almost even more terrifying is being home with a sick baby and just not knowing what to do as first time parents.  Melanie has had a cough since before Halloween.  It's never been a huge thing.  She didn't have a fever and it was mainly bad at night when she was laying flat.  However, we noticed it getting worse on our trip to Florida.  And the first few days back in town it seemed to progress with a slight fever.  I took her to the doctor when I got off work on Wednesday.  The doctor gave us an OTC med for her cough.  He told me to keep a close eye on her.  Since she was so premature he warned me that she could be in for a rough winter.  I needed to look out for things like RSV and Whooping Cough.  She is more susceptible than other babies.  He even went as far as telling me he would be more than happy to see her as many times as we thought she needed to be seen this winter.  Even if it's nothing.  He would rather be safe than sorry with a premature baby.
Friday after work I honestly thought that things were on the mend.  She still had the cough, but it wasn't too bad and no fever.  However, we woke up Saturday morning with a completely congested baby, green snot coming out of her nose, and coughing fit after coughing fit.  Last night to this morning, she had the most horrible coughing fits.  Jarod and I both would wake up each time and both go into her room and just sit with her until they would calm down a bit.  It's so hard to just feel so helpless to do anything.  Today has just been more of the fever, congestion, and coughing fits.  I'm sure it's just a bad cold.  But part of me worries so much that she is starting with Whooping Cough or RSV.  (Probably b/c of the warning from the doctor.  Now I'm paranoid.)  I now know why my mom always said a mother's worry never ends.  We discussed taking her to the ER tonight after one very long, rough coughing fit that just seemed like it would never end.  Instead we decided that Jarod would get her into the doctor first thing tomorrow morning.  I'm not sure how much sleep we will get tonight.  I know I will be wanting to check her temp quite a few times.
I am praying that she will get better before we head to Kansas City for Thanksgiving.  My poor baby girl.  It breaks my heart!  It's funny how much more empathy I have for other parent's now that I am one myself.

Friday morning eating roasted pears with Daddy.  We thought on the mend...

One of her many long naps on Saturday.  She did a lot of coughing and sleeping that day.

I love how she sleeps with her little tush in the air.

This might have been the closest we came to a smile on Saturday.  Poor thing.


Congested!

Love those feet and little tushie ; )


She ended up just laying there.  Completely wiped out.  Had to keep ahold of that toy though.

Trying to lick up that snot.  Yum!

Bath time this evening with Dad.  We had to get her in there.  She had snot from last night caked into the side of her hair.

I made sure it was a quick one.  Afraid she would get even more sick being cold in the bath.


No comments:

Post a Comment