Sunday, July 31, 2011

Merramec Caverns

We've had another busy weekend.  Yesterday with friends, we went peach picking at Eckets, swam, and I made a big dinner.  Of course, we brought the camera along.  However, as usual I had left the memory card at home.  I am so bad about this!  So no pictures.  However, we didn't last very long in the orchard.  It was so hot and I started worrying about Mel over-heating.  It ended up storming the second we got in the car to head home.  The car ride home was intense.  However, it made for a much cooler swimming experience later that evening.  It was really nice.  It was also the first time Melanie really REALLY enjoyed the water. 
Today, I woke up early and made my lovely husband a big breakfast.  Two of our favorites.  Egg casserole and cinnamon rolls.  Then, we went to Merramec Caverns.  I have been to Onondaga Cave, which is a state park.  However, I had never been to the privately owned Merramec Caverns.  Let me tell you....  If you are into cheese, then Merramec Caverns is the place to go.  However, if you want have a really natural cave experience, then you need to hit up the state park.  There were some cool things to see.  However, there were also places where they hung a disco ball from the cave ceiling, had a large cut out of Lassie, and projected all sorts of colored lights and an American flag on the cave walls.  I get really sad when I go to such awesome natural places and they have become a joke because of upkeep. 
It was still a really nice family day.  I love spending time with my husband and beautiful daughter.  (Who by the way, was a trooper.  She did so well during the hour and a half walking tour.  And Mommy got a good work out climbing large inclines and step after step after step with a close to 14 lb. girl. ;o)
That beautiful smile







I think the colored lights are gaudy...  I think it depends on the person.  I would rather see what the cave looks like naturally.  Just my opinion...

This was the last room they took us in.  They had built an auditorium in front of it and projected a light show up on it.  The grand finale was an American flag projected.  Jarod and I laughed later that we could hear people telling others to grab a picture of it, and he had the camera hanging around his neck.  No picture for us, thank you.

1 comment: