When I got up today I had plans for the day. I knew exactly what I needed to get accomplished today and in what order. I am a planner. It's almost compulsive. In fact, if I don't get what I have planned for the day, week, month, year accomplished I think I almost get a little depressed. Certainly stressed. That's just me. I'm the person who sits down with my calendar at the beginning of the month and plan out each weekend to a T. So today when I got home from work I knew that I needed to get all of my cookie baking finished and the rest of my presents purchased. I sat down, in the middle of baking, to feed the baby. (Nothing was in the oven at the time.) This was her bottle before her afternoon nap. She tends to fall asleep in my arms and I always walk her up to her crib and lay her down. This is my time to get the things I need to get done accomplished. However, today I thought to myself how quickly my baby is growing up. How nice it was to have her sleeping in my arms. And how I most likely won't get to just hold her sleeping much longer. She's only going to be a baby once. I decided to live in the moment. The planner in me wanted to get back to my baking. There's so much to do before Christmas. But I didn't. I put in my favorite Christmas movie, White Christmas. Snuggled Mel and I under the covers on the couch. It was wonderful. And when someone asks me what my favorite memory is from my first holiday season with Melanie. I'll lay you odds it will be today. Today when I got to sit in my comfy living room. In front of our gorgeous Christmas tree. Watching my favorite Christmas movie. Holding my sleeping angel of a daughter. It was heavenly. Something I will never forget. Did I have time for our snuggling today. No. And I may have to run around this weekend like a chicken with her head chopped off to make up for it. Or, gasp, not make two or three of the batches of cookies I had planned. However, I wouldn't give up this afternoon for anything in the world. Here's to living in the moment. I need to make it my New Years resolution.


No comments:
Post a Comment