Sunday, August 14, 2011

Trip to Ohio

So exactly 4 days after we got home from Florida, Melanie and I embarked on another adventure.  We headed up to Detroit and met up with Jarod, who is working in Ann Arbor.  Then, we made our way to Sandusky, Ohio.  Let me begin by saying that traveling with a 4 month old by yourself is not easy.  I knew it wouldn't be easy, I just didn't realize how challenging it actually would be.  The 13 hour drive to Florida was nothing compared to flying with Melanie.  The only thing I can say on the subject is that it was HORRIBLE!  Absolutely horrible.  There will not be a next time unless there are two of us to handle the task.  However, we got through it and met up with Jarod outside the airport.  When we got to the "Coastal Ohio" area, we went over to my parent campsite for swimming and dinner.  My Dad grilled hamburgers and we roasted marshmallows before we headed to our hotel for the night. 

Hanging out at my parent's campsite with our smiley girl!

She is a drooling queen lately.


Stuffing my mouth with roasted marshmallows.  I LOVE them!
The next day, my parents decided that they wanted to hang out with Melanie so that Jarod, Christie, Tim, and I could go to Cedar Point Amusement Park.  I think they were both excited to spend time with their granddaughter and also to not have to spend the day in an amusement park.  It's well known as roller coaster heaven.  Jarod and Timothy have both been wanting to go for years.  So we decided we were going to go and ride all 17 roller coasters.  I began to feel motion sick after the first coaster.  However, with a wait time of a half an hour to an hour between each coaster I figured I would get better each time.  I made it through five of them before I started feeling really crummy.  Christie also wasn't feeling the best after the fifth coaster so we decided that we should take a break and get something in our tummy's.  We hadn't eaten all day.  Christie felt immediately better after she ate.  I, however, felt even worse.  Tim kept looking at me and asking me to head for the bathroom.  He said I was making him nervous.  I kept saying I was going to be okay...  That is until I was frantically asking where the bathrooms were and I had to sprint for the bathroom.  It wasn't pretty.  That was the end of my amusement park fun.  Christie decided to leave with me.  I think I am just too old for that kind of fun.  I will be excited to go to Disney World with my kids someday.  However, I think I am done with "those" kinds of parks.  It was certainly better than a six flags, but you still have to put up with the clientele a place like this hosts...  I will say this for the place.  It had some really amazing roller coasters and boasted an amazing view of Lake Erie from atop the rides.  Jarod and Tim stayed until late and rode every ride on their list.

Cedar Point

The Mantis.  The stand-up coaster that ultimately did me in!
I spent the rest of the evening trying to recover.  Anyone who has had a little too much to drink and has gotten the drunk spins when you lie down in bed will know exactly how I felt for the rest of the day.  Bleh! 
The next morning my Dad and brother went to Canton to see the Football Hall of Fame.  Before we headed to the airport, the rest of us decided to go to two state parks on the coast of Lake Erie.  






After an eventful weekend we dropped my mom and sister off at their campsite and then headed back to the Detroit airport.  I wish I could say that the trip home was easier than the trip to.  However, it was much worse.  I had the hardest time getting through security.  I had to hold Melanie while trying to get our two bags, and my shoes into the scanners...along with her stroller and car seat.  You can't just roll her through the x-ray machines.  She screamed all the way to the gate and while we were waiting to get on the plane.  I finally decided I couldn't stand anymore dirty looks so I stuck her bottle in her mouth literally two minutes before they started boarding.  Then I had to take it back out and of course she didn't like that at all!  We finally got on the plane and I continued her feeding.  She finished and then began screaming again.  She literally screamed for at least half the time we were in the air.  All the while I was frantically trying to calm her.  I'm sure everyone on my completely full flight hated our guts.  Ooooooooooh well... 
I am incredibly happy to be home and want to stay put for a while!  Poor Jarod hasn't been home in over two weeks.  It will be three total by the time he actually gets home.  And I can't wait to get Melanie back on a regular routine.  Poor thing.  I'm sure that's why she has been so cranky lately.  We have had all sorts of fun though.  Making those memories!
Now on to new adventures this week:  I go back to work after being home since the beginning of March!  Boo!!! : (


No comments:

Post a Comment