Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

It's resolution time.  For some time now I've known that I have a few goals for the new year.  Nothing huge.  I know that if I make goals that are too big they don't get accomplished.  So I've set a few simple goals for myself. 
Goal 1:
I am going to get our yard in order.  I cringe every time I look out there.  It was very neglected last year.  I also have a goal for this spring of building a raised garden somewhere in the backyard.  I've always wanted to grow my own veggies.
Goal 2:
STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF
This might be hard for me.  I am really anal about certain things.  But I am really going to try...
Goal 3:
Making more time for family.  Because family is EVERYTHING!
Goal 4: Start thinking about how our actions as parents are going to mold the person our child will become someday.
I read something today.  A post by another blogger, that really got me thinking.  Jarod and I both need to start thinking about how we want to raise our children. 
This.  As wonderful as all of these things are.  It may be a bit out of control.  We spoil her.  (And these obviously aren't all from us.)  However, she is only 9 months old and she received this many gifts for Christmas.  I do NOT want to raise a child that doesn't know what it means to be grateful for things she is given.  (And I realize that at 9 months she does not get this concept yet.)  However, I am very afraid that we are headed down that path.  When a child has SO much there is not anything left to want.  Luckily, we are in the infancy of our parenthood and there is a ton of time for change.  I love spoiling her.  I know Jarod does too.  And a tiny bit of spoiling isn't bad.  But I want to try and be intentional about my parenting.  I want my child to know that she can't have everything. 
This is something I need to work on for myself as well.  I take for granted that I can walk into a store and within reason can buy myself anything that I want.  I think I have been very ungrateful for years.  It's time to make a change there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment