Thursday, January 12, 2012

Melanie's 1st Snow

Melanie got to witness her first snow first hand this morning.  Although many other districts called school off today, mine did not.  So we jumped in the car at 6 a.m. this morning (thirty minutes earlier than normal), to make sure we had enough time.  I figured I would probably get to my parent's early and I would just let myself in and have a leisurely breakfast.  What I didn't realize is that the roads in my subdivision were terrible.  I ended up getting stuck on our big hill.  I watch people get stuck and then slide backwards on this hill every year.  My Escape had 4 wheel drive and it was never a problem.  However, we were cheapos on the new car and got rear wheel drive only.  So I did lots of fishtailing and then when I got to the hill I got stuck after slowing down because another car was stuck in front of me.  I sat there for quite a while spinning my tires.  The car in front of me would slide backwards and then get a bit further and then get stuck again.  Lucky for both of us, a kind neighbor in a big pickup stopped and gave us both a big shove and we both got going again.  Then when I got onto 30 it was a mess and backed up.  Needless to say I ended up being late for work.  (Which is ridiculous considering I live 10 minutes away and my parent's live 5 minutes away.)  Oh well.  We're both safe and sound and that's all that matters.  However, I get really mad at the district when I deal with these situations.  Why risk it? 
Melanie is sick again with a cold.  It really is never ending.  And this time she gave it to me.  Plus I've been getting really bad heartburn the last couple of weeks.  So I was feeling pretty yucky by the time we got home today.  So down for naps we both went.  I actually ended in and out of sleep.  Listening to her hacking cough in the room next to me, and then I would answer back with my hack.  Lovely.  I can't complain too much.  I think I've been fairly healthy since last May. 
After rest time we came downstairs and checked out the snow.  I really wanted to get her out in it.  However, with her having a cold and the single digit temps, I didn't think it was smart to get her out in it.  No matter how little time she would have been out there.  I know Jarod is really excited to get her in the snow.  So I'll let him make the judgement call about getting her out in the snow tomorrow.  Sounds like he might be home all next week and we are both excited girls at that prospect!


The wind would whirl around the snow and she would smile.

Ignore my dirty windows.  The insides are actually clean, but the outsides are covered in dog nose.  And it was too cold to go out and clean them.


No comments:

Post a Comment