Monday, April 11, 2011

Melanie's Day

We had a good day today with our girl.  She did okay with her feedings.  We are normally there for two of her feedings.  She is fed every three hours.  She was way too sleepy for her first feeding and latched on but then fell asleep.  She did much better with her second feeding.  The doctor came around to do rounds and we were able to talk to him.  He said she is doing really good.  He still hears the heart murmur, but thinks its because her blood vessels are so small.  He thinks she will grow out of it once she gets bigger and her vessels get bigger.  He said they might do tests right before she leaves just to make sure that this is the case.  I asked when they were thinking she might go home.  (Of course, we are both anxious to get her home.)  He said best case scenario she would go home in two weeks if the light bulb came on and she started eating much better.  He said it would most likely be a month.  Still a lot sooner than we thought.  So we are excited!  Hopefully she keeps up the good work and can come home in a month.  I think we will get the car seat in the car within the next couple weeks though.  Just in case.  He said they would be setting up home nurse visits for at least a month.  This makes me feel a lot better.  I'm already nervous being a new mom, but put a preemie on top of that and I am going to be a nervous wreck!!! 
We also had a really funny moment.  I do the main majority of the diaper changing while we are at the hospital.  Mainly because I love any interaction with her and also because Jarod just doesn't find it all that exciting to change diapers.  Well, today I talked him into doing the second diaper change.  Melanie decided that she was going to shoot poop out the second Jarod opened her diaper.  I told him to hold her legs and just let her finish.  She literally squirted poop for ten minutes.  We couldn't believe so much poop could come out of something so small.  Of course, she wiggled while he was holding her.  She got it on her back and her clothes.  If I remember correctly I ended up finishing the diaper change and changing her clothes.  Jarod did wipe her back off.  It was too funny.  We laughed and laughed and laughed.  I'm sure all the nurses around thought we were crazy.  Oh well.  We thought it was entertaining. 
The first three pictures are from yesterday.  The last three are from today.

Melanie and Daddy checking each other out!

They totally look alike!

Monkey Melanie!

She's starting to fill out!  She's just the cutest baby in the world!

Dad changing Melanie's diaper!

Jarod just holding up her legs letting her finish her business.  Didn't seem to faze her...

No comments:

Post a Comment